Changing Your Name Across Campus

Chosen Name Policy
While on campus, students, faculty, and staff may elect to use a chosen name other than their legal name. The legal name will still be used for official transcripts, diploma(s), financial aid documents, payroll, and other instances where a legal name is required by law or University policy. Chosen names will automatically populate into campus systems such as Canvas, Zoom, and GoCards.

Changing Your Name on MyAccess
Students may request use of their chosen first name in lieu of their legal first name via MyAccess through the following steps:

  1. Login to MyAccess 
  2. Click on the “Students” tab
  3. Click “Personal Information”
  4. Under “Personal Details”, click the “Edit” button in the top right corner.
  5. Enter the chosen name in the “Chosen Name” field and press “Update”.

Changing Your Name in GMS
Students, faculty, and staff employed on campus may request use of their chosen first name in lieu of their legal first name in GMS through the following steps:

  1. Login to GMS
  2. Click “Menu” in the top left corner
  3. Click “Personal Information”
  4. Find and press “Preferred Name” under “Change”
  5. Enter your chosen name in the appropriate fields and press “Submit”.

Student Health Center
For insurance purposes, the Student Health Center must record your legal name and legal gender marker during your first visit. However, during the intake process, there will also be a place to designate your chosen name and pronouns. Students can make an appointment by calling 202-687-2200 or visiting the website. Students may also call if they have further questions or concerns.

Keeping Your Legal Name Private
If a student does not wish GU to share the student’s legal first name with external organizations, they  have the option of requesting FERPA (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) directory exclusion, which revokes the University’s right to share directory information with any outside source.

Students who wish to exclude any release of student information, under the FERPA exclusion guidelines, may request so by submitting a disclosure of student information form, found here, to the University Registrar’s Office.

It is important to know that requesting FERPA exclusion means that you will not be listed in the directory and the University cannot confirm your student status (e.g., for the purposes of credit card and insurance verifications, etc.). For more information, please contact the Georgetown University Registrar’s Office.

Please be advised that student addresses are linked to the student’s legal name. That means any notices sent to the student’s home address, including tuition and other payments due to the university, will bear the legal name.

Note on Diplomas: Upon graduation, student records may be changed under limited circumstances. If after graduation a student obtains a legal change, the University Registrar will honor a name change request and reissue the diploma. The student must return the initial diploma. Students should contact the campus Registrar’s Office for appropriate steps.